Friday, August 25, 2006

Songs I Can’t Stand (Part 1)


Rihanna is an R and B artist who seems to have a promising career as she looks beautiful and can sing well to boot. For the record, I love “S.O.S,” but maybe that is because while it has nothing to do with ABBA, it features a sample of another so cheesy it’s good band, Soft Cell and their 1981 hit “Tainted Love.”

So here I am wondering what she’ll do next. Something that features Men Without Hats’ “Safety Dance”? A song that samples Howard Jones’ “New Song”? No. What she does is this overly grandiose ballad full of typical R and B wailings (and the video is filled with typical drama-rama posturing) called “Unfaithful.” In it she talks about how she has a boyfriend, but she also is keeping a lover on the side. I apologize for not knowing much about the song, and damning it anyways, but the one thing I have the biggest problem with is the chorus.

I don't wanna do this anymore
I don't wanna be the reason why
Everytime I walk out the door
I see him die a little more inside
I don't wanna hurt him anymore
I don't wanna take away his life
I don't wanna be...
a murderer

A murderer? A murderer???? Now, I am positively sure that Rihanna did not write this song, and so she is only playing the messenger I suppose, but who in their right mind is so presumptuous to assume that if her boyfriend figures out what’s been going on between her and some other guy, that instead of dumping her clothes and all her things on the front lawn, instead of kicking her skanky ass to the curb (yeah, I personally hate the idea of infidelity in a relationship), instead of idly entertaining thoughts of hurting her, he’s going to go and off himself? What?

And yeah yeah yeah, I know what the argument for this is. Rihanna might be as much of a cheater as John Lennon was really a walrus or Johnny Cash really shot a man in Reno just to watch him die. However…a murderer! Ha ha ha…someone needs to get their head out of the clouds.

2 comments:

Jolly de Guzman said...

I never heard of her. Is she supposed to be big?

MissMuse said...

OH MY GOD!!! If your comment is not a sign to move to California, I don't know what else could be!

She is pretty big here, at least her videos were played quite a bit for a time when I wrote this entry. I know that may not be the same thing.