Monday, September 04, 2006

Skeletons In My Closet (Part 1)



I think I like The Feeling.

This belongs in here as a skeleton in my closet because every time I look at the lead singer, Dan Gillespie Sells, I am strangely reminded of Orlando Bloom, who is really too pretty to do anything but be pretty I think. Dan Gillespie Sells, who is right in the center of the picture, may be talented, which would make him really interesting to me, but then he has this Orlando-esque aura to him (is it only me who sees this?) which unsettles me.

Also, on the band's debut CD, Twelve Stops and Home," a promo sticker which labels The Feeling as a "soft rock" can be found quite prominently on the front of the CD.

Soft rock to me is Chicago. It is Air Supply. In short, it can be nothing that I really like, and I just so happen to find two of the songs I have heard from The Feeling pretty darn catchy.

Am I getting old?

And what sort of band of twenty-somethings embraces the label "soft rock"? They don't have to crank it up to 11, but who really straps on a guitar and yet seemingly wants to be featured on Magic 95.7 or whatever it is?

It really is just because of the whole soft rock thing they've been lumped into (and who knows, maybe it's been unwillingly) that I feel a wee bit embarrassed I like their music.

Come on guys, prove me wrong! When you go on your tour, blow out your amps. Smash a few guitars. Be as un-Neil Diamond as possible! I dare ya!

No comments: