Wednesday, December 06, 2006

The Lost Art of Rebuying Recordings

Do any of you out there have holes in your CD collection that were created when you made the move from cassette to CD? I can remember having quite a few tapes in high school. It wasn't until maybe my sophomore year in university that I started buying CDs, with the intention of converting all of my tapes to the newer, supposedly better CD format.

When I had them on tape, I owned every single U2 recording that had been made up until Zooropa. Now I have just 8 U2 CDs. I am missing only October, Rattle and Hum, and Pop. I could go either way now with completing my U2 collection.

I also once owned everything R.E.M. made, up until their Up CD. Now I just own six. The point of what I own by R.E.M. is moot to me these days anyhow, as I think they stopped being relevant when they continued on without Bill Berry. I want to get Automatic For The People though as I remember it being a really good tape.

On tape I also collected a couple of recordings by Midnight Oil. I loved Blue Sky Mining and Diesel and Dust. They are nowhere to be found in my CD collection as well.

Pixies were another band I got into while in high school. I think at one point I owned almost everything they put out. Now I just have three CDs: Trompe Le Monde, Doolittle and Bossanova. I would love to own Surfer Rosa again if only to have Gigantic to play over and over again. It's a great song!

I also remember owning Sinead O'Connor's The Lion and the Cobra and I Do Not Want What I Have Not Got and really liking them. I wonder if those songs have stood the test of time with me, or if their memory of them is better than the songs themselves.

It's really hard when you want to embrace both the past and present when you like music as much as I do. I have to admit I have not bought anything in a long time in an attempt to recreate my high school tape collection. I wonder if anyone else is in the same position as me, wondering if it is a good idea to be so nostalgic for a time period when maybe there is other good current music out there that I should be paying more attention to.

3 comments:

riotcitygirl said...

A tough call! I have stacks of vinyl and cassettes and yet adore exploring new music. And those CD guys will mess with the format when they 'digitally remaster' - Talking Heads 'Stop Making Sense' makes perfect sense in it's 9-track vinyl glory, yet in 16-track CD form somehow loses it's edge.

So... i'm getting one of those USB turntable thingys for xmas, apparently connects really well to cassette decks too. Digitise the best of the old stuff in it's original form (this could take some time!!!) and then spend my pennies on new stuff. Best of both worlds!

PS: thanks for the comment

A girl lost in the Universe said...

Well among my holes which I have been more than happy not to fill have been Roxettes Joyride and Madonnas' immaculate collection-although i did quite enjoy that album.I did manage to fill the Neil Diamond-Hot August night LP-to-CD hole which is always good(look for embarassed face)

Jolly de Guzman said...

I'm sure you can find used ones and it will be easier to justify purchasing it because of the price.