Sunday, July 08, 2007

Don't You Hate It When This Happens?

I woke up early this morning, as in 430 this morning and I worried if I would manage to get back to sleep before my 830 alarm. I did, and I had this really strange dream involving space travel, a living ship, something that manifested symbols and designs on its deck whenever it wanted, Mulder and Scully were there, as was Avril Lavigne. Which makes me wonder just what the hell was going on in my brain at the time?

The thing that really struck me is I heard this song and woke up with it in my head. And I had it with me until I got into the shower and then it faded away, replaced with some Faith Hill and Nina Gordon songs. What I had was really original, but now I wonder if it might have been "inspired by" the Faith Hill song (though to call Faith Hill inspiring for me..egh, meh.)

Ages ago, I dreamed I was at some amusement park where I heard this "new" Bryan Adams song, and then months later when I heard the ubiquitous Everything I Do (I Do It For You)" I freaked out as the lyrics and tune were so similar.

When this happens, it ticks me off I don't have a working knowledge of music. I'd kill to be able to wake from a dream, sit in front of a piano or strap on a guitar and take it from there, see what develops. This is how Paul McCartney came up with Yesterday, after all. I'm a bit worried that it seems my subconscious wants me to get into songwriting for really AOR, Adult Rock style songs, though.

1 comment:

A girl lost in the Universe said...

What I hate is when you wake up with a song in your head that you can't get out of your mind all day until you play it....or alternatively you hear it on the radio!!

Strange dream Kate...you should speak to Mark, he is good analysing them!!